Production T3 Pickup?

About ten years ago I did the backpack thing across Europe, and I noticed
some unusual production VW's, especially in the Mediterranian.  In Greece I
noticed Vanagons (that is, the body style of post '79 N. American vans)
with Type 3 engines.  This didn't surprise me too much, as I understand
that many non-North American VW exports often contained a mish-mash of
parts from different production years, in the interest of economy.

What aroused my curiousity the most was a car that was clearly a production
Type 3, with the same basic front end as the notch, square and fastbacks,
but it was a pickup truck version.  I did a double-take when I was walking
past it, and had a quick look under the engine compartment and at the box
section of the car's body, and clearly this was not a custom job, but
indeed a production model.  I haven't seen nor heard about this variation
of the Type 3 before, and was wondering if anyone else is familiar with it,
and could provide some more details.

Regards,

Douglas Taylor
58 Village Green Way