Re: sliding steel sunroof

Melissa & Jim wrote:

> A sunroof question:

Hi Jim,
In my email about the sunroof I tried to explain where the front hoses
drain. It actually comes out of the 'a' pillar, I would guess about 1/3
from the top and in between the door and the pillar. The hose itself is
only about 3 inches long and goes from the frame to the body. The rest is
all welded in and steel. I had the whole body sandblasted, including the
drains. I than filled them up with zinc paint, let it drain (expensive
hobby, but you can use the paint again for the other side). After drying,
the same with normal paint and thereafter with 'tectyl'. I don't know the
american name for that stuff, but it's a brown stinking fluid for
rustprotection that's used overhere in every closed compartment of a car
eg. heaterchannels etc. The whole thing takes a few days and is quite
messy.
You should be able to easily spot the holes in the pillar as they are
about 1/4 of an inch, maybe a bit more, in diameter, unless someone, like
a PO, filled them up because he thought something was leaking. If you
don't see them right away, try to insert some sort of wire, like the
thick strong nylon type they use for putting in windows or hanging up
paintings, from the top down. Unless the holes are welded close (as when
a new piece of 'a' pillar was welded in as the old one was rusted by a
leaking sunroof ???), it should come where I explained.
Cheers,
Theo