sliding steel sunroof

A sunroof question:

Can anyone tell me exactly where the front drains are supposed to exit?  Is
it inside the top of the fender just below the base of the "A" pillar?

Mine on my 69 don't drain well and I have tried to roto-root them.  They are
better now, but I was never able to see where my wire came out, or even be
sure where the water was coming from.  I suspect that they open out in the
area where the fender is bolted against the inner side panel and that the PO
installed the fender with some extra sealant that has partly covered them up.

Or do they open up into the space where the door hinges are, just to the
rear of the front fender attachment line?

Is this a welded-in steel tube the whole way, or is part of it plastic?

Thanks,

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney