Heaters

>From: Aaron Britcher <abritcher@ezinet.com.au>

>I have never had a Type 3 with a bad heater set up ever and I have had
>maybe six or seven road going T3's with heaters. I flick the 'S' heaters
>on and instantly I am winding down the windows to cool down. What is the
>deal, am I lucky or do you all have corroded or rusted out heater box's.
>I have thrown a lot of early heater box's out so I don't know.
>Puzzled,

There are many variables, the largest of which is probably peoples subjectivity.
Many of you probably think 32F (0C) is cold, but my winter gets down to -20F
every year with a worst case -36F once upon a time.   I am grateful to get a
bit of defrosting on my windshield by the time I get home.  I'm sure there
are others of you with worse tales to tell.

The heating system degrades as the car rusts out.  For us in the snow belt,
this is a painful fact of life.  Our roads are heavily salted in the winter
to remove the ice and help keep us moving and on the road; this leads to the
eventual death-by-rust of all our cars.  Unfortunately, once the rocker
panels start to rust out a bit most of the heat that was intended for the
interior gets dumped outside.  Bummer.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney