FI Gremlin

I spent much of my holiday visitation w/ my 69 squareback that I store in
NC dealing w/ a vexing electric fuel pump problem.  I would start the car,
no problems.  After a minute or so, the fuel pump relay would buzz, then
click (removing power from the fuel pump) and the car would die.  After an
hour or so, the relay would reset and the same thing would happen.  I
replaced the relay ($7 what a bargain) but no improvement.  I replaced the
main FI relay but no improvement.  Finally, I began running the fuel pump
w/ the T1 connector in the engine compartment to see if it was
overheating.  I had a devil of a time keeping it running by grounding the
wire, I don't know why.  Anyway, after playing w/ this connection and
confirming that the pump was not running hot, I taped up a few cracking
wires in the FI harness on the engine, and lo and behold, problem solved.
I have no idea why, however.  I'm assuming that the brain has the ability
to turn off the pump when it senses shorts or other problems in the engine
and that this is what was happening.  In any case, I'm a little concerned
that the problem may return but on the highway this time.  Any suggestions
or theories?

Rich
69 Squareback
71 Bus