Re: Re[2]: Typical Type III Squareback problems?

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Sonya Herrera-Wilson wrote:
> >Other:
> >For my tastes I don't think the T3 heater puts out enough heat.  Others I've
> >talked to say theirs is fine.  ???
>
> The heater in my '71 Fastback warms up the car within a few blocks.  Thats
> just using the heater and the rear seat vents.  When I open up the floor

	I think that this is very strongly a function of your climate!

	My heater does great around 50F, even around 40F or so.  Once
below freezing, though, my car doesn't get properly warm inside when
driving around town.  Note that a previous owner removed the cooling air
control flaps & thermostat, so this is certainly making things colder than
they could be.  When the temperature is near 0F (approx. -15C), you won't
really notice that the heat is on while driving around town.  It is more
comfortable inside the car than out, but you'll be cold.  It will
(eventually!) warm up at highway speeds when it's this cold.

	Another big factor, particularly when the temperature is a lot
below freezing, is air leaks in your seals.  With a little bit of wind
outside, combined with bone-chilling temperatures, a one-inch missing
segment of door seal along the bottom edge of the door will *not* go
unnoticed...

	I should also add that I have headers on my car, which have
eliminated the smaller pair of heat exchangers. :(

	Perhaps we should all define what makes for "cold" weather where
we live & the kind of driving we do (highway? stop&go?) when comparing
stock heater efficacies. :)

-Greg
'71 squareback
'63 Beetle