Re: CA Smog Laws?

Jonathan Hirschman wrote:

> Hey,
>
> A relocation to the Left Coast could be in my future. Will smog laws
> cause me big problems for me and the '63/'64 Notch? (Apparently, the
> car I've been telling folks is a '63 is actually a '64...I guess
> she'll last a bit longer :)
>
> Any information on what its about and how to cope would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Last: so as not to tick Greg off with a "wasted post" :)...isn't this
> list something? Best thing on the Internet, IMHO!
>
> Jonathan
>
> *Jonathan Hirschman*
> *****Pathfinder*****
> **Senior Producer***
> *****Production*****
> *Voice:212-522-4742*

California recently changed its laws regarding bringing in cars from out
of state.  All owners must pay a $300.00 smog impact fee to bring a car
into the state if its most current registration is not California.  In
addition, the car must pass any smog standards that were in effect when
the car was new.  For foreign cars, the first standards were for 1965
models.  Your 1963/64 car should not have to be tested, but don't bet on
it.  Sometimes the mood of the DMV officer on the day you show up will
effect what you have to do.  They will check all VIN numbers on your car
and compare them to the title, as well as deciding whether or not you
need a smog check.  If you have a test and fail it, you may have to get
the car repaired, and take it to a special state run station for a
recheck.  A nasty business which takes lots of time.

Tim Dapper