Toby and others -Carb vs. FI ?

Toby E. writes:

FI is better than carbs.  If you deviate from stock you may have to get an
after-market FI system and they run about $1000 and up.

I've been questioning if FI is better than carbs for some time now. I
understand the fuel consumption and cleaner burning aspects of FI, but wonder
about the exceleration benefits and the fact that carbs have less parts than
FI. I have a 69' Square and a 75' Super, both with original FI. I've kept
both of them tuned and serviced, but lots of problems have arised from time
to time that I can't fix because of the complexity and number of parts to the
FI.

Any other experiences and opinions would greatly be appreciated.

thanks - Wilson