!!HELP!! Bad Valve(s)?

>From: "Jonathan Hirschman (Pathfinder)" <jonathan@pathfinder.com>

>I'm doing some routine maintanence, and am adjusting the valves (first
>time). Cylinder 1 was a walk in the park. Cylinder 2...now there's a problem.
>
>The #2 intake valve was tight...so tight, that when I removed the
>adjusting bolt, I *still* couldn't get an .006 blade in there.

Greg is correct.  Your distributor and possibly your distributor drive gear
are installed wrong.  This is a common problem.  The spark plug wires have
just been moved to the wrong location to correct the symptom without
bothering to fix the problem.

If you look at your wires I'd be willing to bet that the spark plug wire
that goes to #1 is not the one above the notch on the lip of the
distributor.  To adjust your valves, just go by the wires.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin