Stuck in the driveway

I swear that sometimes my cars can read my mind.  Last night I decided that
because of the rain I would take public transit to work today so I could
keep my Ghia covered.  Well, I got up late so I figured I had no choice but
to take the car.  But my Ghia didn't agree with that assessment.

When I let out the clutch it felt like the front end was tied to the
pavement.  In reverse the rear end humped up and in first the rear end
hunkered down but the car wouldn't move even though the engine was applying
torque to the wheels. So I took public transit anyway.

Any ideas where I should look first?

---Larry Edson, Editor
   Karmann Ghia Club of North America
   '65 Type 345 (electric sunroof)