Re: oil cooler/heaters

First, the rear anti-sway bars.  Yes, they (whoever "they" are) make them
for swing axles.  But it's called a Camber Compensator (that's the
leaf-spring you saw, BA).

The heater you're talking about, if I'm correct, is one I've seen and it's
only for the Bug.  I'm sure it could be used for a Notchback or Fastback if
those vehicles have the luggage(?) space behind the back seat like the
Bug's do.  I believe the theory is valid, that it would heat the car, but I
personally don't like anything else about it.  Reasons:

1.  Routing oil lines into the car?  Make sure they're bullet proof!!! i.e.
you're confident that they'll NEVER leak.
2.  Warmer weather will require you to move the oil cooler to the outside
of the car, generally back into it's stock location.  It's February and
that traditionally means cold weather.  But for a couple of days it's been
warm enough for me to actually slid my rag back and enjoy the sunshine
(wish this happened more often, right Jason?).  During those times I
would've had to move the oil cooler.  Not a clean job by ANY means!

You could probably have both oil coolers installed with a (manual?) switch
to control which cooler is being used.  But for those times when one isn't
being used, like in the summer, the internal (cabin heater) one, the oil is
just sitting there.  During an oil change that oil couldn't be changed
unless you added a custom fitting at the lowest point to allow drainage and
that would undoubtedly need to be plumbed through the body/pan.  Yuck!  My
opinion -- definitely not worth the trouble, hassle and cost.
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale