distributor screw

>From: Douglas Henry <dhenry@u.washington.edu>

>OK, here's a small but important problem I'm having with my distributor.
>My previous owner trashed the screw that holds my points in place.  I had
>been able to make do for 3 years, but the threads on that one eventually
>wouldn't hold the points in place with the engine running.  I found a
>replacement metric screw, but it too became stripped when I applied enough
>torque to hold the points in place.  I eventually ended up getting a screw
>made from a harder steel that was one size up in diameter, and that worked
>for a few months but it is slipping again.

I have repaired these with a bicycle toe-clip screw, an M5 x .8 thread.
This should last forever if you tap it carefully.  If you are having
continuing problems, you may just be overtightning.  This bolt does not have
to be all that tight.  Use Bosch points.

The breaker plate assy is avail from Bosch as a service part.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin