Re: rebuilt engine

Hi Shawn,

I don't recommend reusing a case that needs to be align-bored.  These
cases were not designed to be reused and align-boring can not be done as
well as in the VW factory.  This will lead to misalignment of the crank in
the case.  This in turn leads to premature flywheel seal wear, piston ring
wear (which will produce blow-by and internal case pressure) and increased
friction which means it will run hotter.  IMHO it doesn't save you any
money in the long run to use an align-bored case.  Who wants to rebuild an
engine before you need to?  As for the increased displacement, I don't see
a problem as long as you keep a good compression ratio for the fuel used
and keep the original thermostat stuff.  Anybody else out there have
additional thoughts?

james