Re: '65 Squareback brakes

>From: "Gregory M. Merritt" <gregm@engin.umich.edu>

>On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Alan W. Presley wrote:
>> First of all, Squarebacks were imported into the US starting in '62, it
>> was the ONLY T-3 VW imported back then.  Fastbacks started in '66.
>> (Just wanted to straighten that out.)
>
>Sorry Big Al, but...
>
>	*every* source I have read--from current books to auto and
>financial magazines from the early/mid 1960s--completely contradicts the
>assertion that squares were imported before the 1965 model year.

>	Can you please provide some references to support the claim of a
>pre-'66 model year introduction of *any* Type III to the U.S. under the good
>graces of VWAG?  I would love to be proven wrong!

We've been down this road before.  I felt sure that my 68 was in the first
year of OFFICIAL VWOA import, but others have persuaded me that 66 was the
right year.  I have nothing definitive to add, but I will strongly argue
against VWOA being involved from 62.

>-Greg (with no first-hand knowledge, having been born after D-Jet was
>introduced...)

AHAH!  Now we know how old you are!

Jim, born before VWOA imported ANY cars.
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin