Re: headlights stop working?

>From: parkkj@orion.crd.ge.com (Keith Park)

>I  "rewired " mine for MORE POWER  ..Grunt,  grunt...
>
>Now the lows stay on with the high beams,  you can also flash your highs with
>the lights off!  Seems to be OK for the last 3 years or so but would be less
>strain on the system with Halogens

You can also install a different hi/lo relay to get the flasher effect
without having both filaments on at the same time.

>BUT... Will the halogens sucessfully run both filiments simultaneously like
>the incan do????   Hmmmmm...

I think the halogens have separate quartz globes inside for each filament,
so that should not be a problem.  I always thought there might be a problem
from doubling the power inside the main envelope; it is bound to run hotter,
but I don't know if you might shatter something.  At any rate it's just a
headlamp.

I don't think the halogens use any less power.  Aren't they rated at the
same 55W, or whatever?  This works out to about 4 A per filament, so I would
be most worried about increased draw from the electrical system and wiring
harness.  Consider that you are now drawing twice the current through the
wire from the switch to the relay that it was designed for.

Perhaps you have already replaced that wire.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin