Re: headlights stop working?

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Melissa & Jim wrote:

>Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:42:09 -0600
>From: Melissa & Jim <jadney@vwtype3.org>
>To: type-3@umich.edu
>Subject: headlights stop working?
>
>>From: "James L. McGill" <fishbowl@fotd.netcomi.com>
>
>>What would cause the headlights to stop working?
>>Is there a fuse?
>
>I assume a type III, but what year?  Yes there is a separate fuse for each side.

OK, I looked underneath the dash last night.

1966 Squareback.

More accurately:  When I pull the switch to parking lights, they come on.  Dash light
dimmer works, etc.  When I pull the switch to headlights, parking lights go out, headlights
don't come on.  In this position, I can make the brights work(!) not sure if the parking lights
come on at this point.  So it's the switch, right?  $30 from WCM.

Wife says she felt water coming in (we've had feet of rain ... floodin' down in texas... )
and it was drops around her shin.  I'm extremely concerned about this, but I've
so far failed to find the source.  The vents are taped completely over.  Windshield seal looks
good, and the trunk seal is weathered, but not bad where it meets the windshield.  So
I suspect the hole where the wiper arm comes through.

I shudder to think what could be the matter if incoming H2O is starting to cause
electrical failures on this precious car!  (Not to mention RUST, but I'm trying to
take care of it!!!)

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl@conservatory.com>   ]---l-i-v-i-n-g
d-e-a-d-i-c-a-t-e-d---[ http://www.conservatory.com/~fishbowl ]-----l-i-g-h-t