re: more fumes

Thanks for all the replies and tips.  My wife and I poked around at the SQB this
morning and found that the engine cover was not properly seated, the hooks were
not inserted into the slots at the front.  That seemed to help tremendously and
cut the engine noise down a bit.  It appears that when I adjusted the points
last week I didn't install the cover properly.

The rear hatch seal is new and good and the engine cover seal is good.  Can I
put some generic weatherstriping around that or would it get too hot?

What about the vents along the side right in front of the rear hatch?  They have
openings inside the car right by the rear window.  Would these end up sucking in
fumes?  It looks like they are designed to push air onto the inside of the rear
hatch window, but we're not sure.  I was thinking of temporarily duct taping the
inside holes up to see if that made any difference.  Any thougts on that?

Bottom line is, just be reseating the engine cover, the fumes were cut down a
lot.  With no windows open and heat either on or off there were no fumes.  Even
with the dash venst open there were none.  When I opened a vent window with the
heat on, I did get some fumes.  On the way home tonight (or at lunch) I will try
the open window and no heat and see what happens.

Dave