More fumes

Our '71 SQB has had persistent fume problems when the windows are opened.  There
are some rust holes on the inner fenders behind the drivers' door.  I've patched
the holes on he passengers side pretty well, but I'm wondering if they are the
source of the leak.

How would the fumes get from the back of the car all the way up the back seat?
Why only when the windows are open?  I periodically check the exhaust
connections for leaks (black soot), but even with leaks (if there are some) how
are the fumes getting in the car?

It looks like I'll have the work on the driver's side holes this weekend,
assuming the weather stays dry, and hopefully that will seal things up a little
better.

Dave