Re: T3 engine upgrade

>From: rrrrjr@surf.com

>First:  As an educated individual I do not become hysterical over "new
>and improved" products.  After my own (and many other 20+ year old car
>owners) dismal results after the introduction of California's newly
>formulated gas, I have read and reviewed many articles dealing with this
>phenomenon.  The concesus is that for newer vehicles there is little
>difference (perhaps damage to some fuel lines) in vehicle perfromance.
>But older vehicles suffer dramaticly.

Consensus means different things to different people.  Perhaps we read
different journals.

>Does Wisconsin now use this
>formualtion of gas, and do you have personal experience with it?

It is my understanding that ALL parts of the US now use some form of
reformulated gasoline at least part of the year.  The "worst" of these have
an energy content that is reduced by about 10% from the old days.  Dennis
Sinnamatis had a rather good article on this a couple of months ago in Road
and Track.  Parts of Wisconsin started using one of the more radical
formulations about 3 years ago; your part of the country started much
earlier.  The reports we got last summer were of people getting sick,
nausea, etc. fron the smell.  Those reports slowed down considerably when
the news got out that the change had occured 3 years ago.  This is the kind
of hysteria that I find annoying, and yes, you are right, I should not have
painted you with that same broad brush.  I use this gasoline about twice a
year when we drive through the Chicago area; I see NO change in gas mileage,
and I log every tankfull.

The best way to do this test is on a trip that takes you into different
gasoline "regions" while recording mileage.  I don't know where you live,
but it should be possible for you to do this kind of test.  Or have you
already?  If so, what did you find?

To my knowledge there is no good evidence that reformulated gasolines give
rise to large losses of gas mileage.  The anecdotal evidence that is so
often brought up is based on nothing more than the fact that two events
occured at similar times.  Simultaneity does not prove causality.  There is,
however, proof that some of the newer blends are harder on various
elastomers.  For the most part this just means that we all need to buy
better fuel hose, but I think there is room for concern about the o-rings in
the fuel injectors.  So far I have had no more trouble than I would expect
with any 25 year old rubber part.

>Also, I would ask for which gas company do you work?

Cute, but none.  Besides, this is not the gas companies doing.

>Second: I have many more reasons for the engine upgrade.  I expect
>better milage, more power, and much lower emissions.

Kind of unrealistic (unless you just mean normal mileage, power, and
emissions.) These are all worthy goals, but I think if they were
simultaneously attainable VW would have kept selling air cooled cars.

>Lastly, my mechanic helped to bring my T3 into to world fourteen years
>ago.  He has been its exclusive caregiver.  He and I rebuilt the engine
>several years ago, and he knows what he is doing.  (He is BOSCH
>certified in D- and L- jetronics FI-FYI)  It would be best not to
>criticize those things you know little about.

You and your mechanic are to be commended for helping to keep one of these
wonderful old cars going, but I believe I know quite a bit about them, too.
You have added quite a bit of information that was not present in your first
post.  I don't recall if you ever mentioned the exact mileage you were
getting; my recollection is that you just said it was very bad.  I responded
that I thought it could be fixed.  I gave specific things to check.  In
particular, the effect of system voltage on D-Jetronic mileage is something
that Bosch has never made mention of to my knowledge.  And, yes, I have been
to some of their clinics, too, but not to the extent that your mechanic
probably has.  Still, I suggest you look at the system voltage.  I would be
very interested to know if your mechanic was aware of this effect.

>Post Lastly: A comment regarding the possible smog-ing problems in
>California.  Before starting this little adventure I contacted the BAR
>and was told that I would need ONE formal inspection to verify that ALL
>emissions equipment that was present for the new engine's vehicle and
>year were now installed correctly on the modified vehicle.  Provided all
>equipment is present, and that it passes the updated smog requirements,
>the vehicle would be given a new door panel sticker and ID number for
>future registration and smog checks.

This is interesting.  I don't have to deal with the Cal regs, but this is a
lot different from most of the postings I read.  What are you really saying?
 Do you not need to pass periodic reinspections?  Is it really okay to
modify your engine?  What "updated smog requirements" do you need to pass?
What options do you have if you can't meet those requirements?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin