Lower Compression Ratio in FI T3

>From: "Eric M. Edmonds" <eedmonds@swcp.com>

>I recently rebuilt the engine that came in my 71 fastback.  It is 1584cc and I
>set the deck height so as to have 6.9:1 compression.  Later I read that this
>was unnecessary as the fi system will correctly read the engine parameters and
>compenate for any higher temps that would normally be found in carburated car
>using a cr of 7.7:1 (or so).
>
>Will running the engine set at 6.9:1 cr damage the fi system or the engine
>itself?  If so I will pull the engine and remove the spacers I have under the
>jugs (0.060).

The FI can sense temperature, but it can't sense knock.  Berg mentions a
"knock sensor" on the FI Type IIIs, but that much, however, is wrong.  I
believe his basic premise that reduced CR is a good idea for today's gas is
sound.

So how does your engine run?

Someone who knows more about carbs will have to answer your carb question.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin