Re: Crankcase breather

>From: "ANDREW PAROCZY" <aparoczy@ezinet.com.au>

>The dipstick pipe isn't connected to the breather. The hole in the washer
>is to let the oil back into the crankcase . The plunger lifts ,if
>necessary,at high rpm to allow more crankcase gases to escape ,and I have
>never seen a blue sponge in the breather box
>unless it was placed there by somebody. The breather box should have a
>steel gauze in it for the oil gas to condense.Other than that everything is
>correct!

>'62 1500 Variant 129530
>'65 1500N Panel Van PV0075
>'73 1600TL Variant

Your sig explains why you would misunderstand some of this.  Your cars
bracket the years, but miss the ones when the oil drained into the filler
tube.  The earliest cars 61-67 had a straight draft tube with the rubber
valve at the bottom, 68-71 had the bottom of that tube drain back into the
filler pipe, and 72-3 FI cars used a different arrangement that did away
with the drain back to the filler pipe.  My microfilm has several mistakes
in this area, so I can't be sure how late carbed cars were done.

My 68 FI came new with a blue sponge in that location.  The parts list shows
only one part number up to that point for all cars, but earlier cars might
have come with something different which was superceeded by the blue sponge.
 I have always felt that one of the stainless steel or copper kitchen
scrubbers would be a better replacement.  What do other owners remember
getting originally in their pre 68 cars?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin