Re: T3 parts book.

> >From: Yevgheny Khanin <ykhanin@iil.intel.com>
>
> >It's not a part book, it's pages are not light brown from age, :-),
> >but sometimes it helps. I'm talking about Type 3 Genuine Parts
> >Illustrated Catalogue (Typ 3 Original Teile Bildkatalog). My copy carries
> >1994 on the front cover (printed September 93 in Germany by VW AG, 6
> >languages) and was purchased (after seeing an ad in Volksworld) in July 95
> >for 4.00 pounds + shipping from
> >
> >VW Heritage Parts Centre
> >Unit 5 Freemans Rd
> >Portslade BN41 1SL
> >UK

  Folks,

As I saw there was one more message on the list on the subject above.
(My apologies, I've accidentally deleted that message. That's why I'm
using my own message as a reference.)

Those who think they are interested in buying the above catalog pls read:

this catalog is a collection of illustrations (with exploded views showing
how a certain "complex" part is assembled from the "simple" ones). It's
great,
but: without Jim Adney's "The VW Part Numbering System" article (posted
Feb 10th 1997) or some other source you can only use it the way very
lively described in Alan Presley's lecture on "T3 parts book" (also posted
last week, if I'm not mistaken).

Example from the real life.
I'm trying to find the screws which pull together two pieces of the
popout window chrome on my '70 LHD Notch.

According to the subgroup No.45 description in the No.8 (body) group table
of the catalog or Jim's simple table, I proceed to the
illustration No.81 where I can indeed see my little screws under No.31.

This knowledge alone doesn't help me much, does it?

But we now have the magic TCS-MSS-### expression.

T(ype)=3
C(hassis)=1 (?, this is the hardest for me. Help me out, guys)
S(ide)=1 (no handedness involved)
M(ain group number)=8
SS(ubgroup number)=45
###=031

Hence, one supposedly (I'm cautious) comes up with part number 311-845-031
for the screws in question.
Jim, guys, am I right? BTW, does the real Part Book give the size as
well? I need to know what is the length of these screws. Can someone help?

I'm sorry in advance if you find this piece confusing, folks. It probably
is. Still hope it will help someone.

Rgds,
Yevgheny.