Intake manifolds

>From: Steven Ayres <comwest@well.com>

>In addition to the small split balance/vacuum port, I have a pair of
>cylindrical lugs about 13mm in diameter that could be drilled through to
>create what appear to be secondary intakes of some sort, at 90 degrees
>to the primary intake and past the split. There are airways about 3.5cm
>long cast inside, and these are what we'd have a problem flowing.

This is not one of my areas of expertise, but I have often heard that it is
counterproductive to try to get intake manifolds smoothly polished.
Something about turbulence being important to encouraging the mixing of the
intake gas/air.  This is as opposed to exhaust ports where laminar flow
minimizes heat loss to the walls.  Made sense to me, but I have nothing to
back it up with.  What do others think?

 The
>manifolds are steel, and to weld them up smooth would require too much
>blind internal work to be practical. I've thought about filling them
>with epoxy or something, but my engine man is dubious about having so
>much foreign material that could crack off and get sucked into the
>cylinders later. I'd be interested in hearing how you'd handle this.

The Devcon stuff might work, but I agree with your reluctance to put it in a
place where such a failure could be disastrous.  How about drilling/reaming
the passage from the outside and fitting a pin which could be ground to a
smooth fit on the inside and tack welded on the outside?  A taper pin might
be best.

>But then there's the question that will probably apply to a few other
>members of the list: Does anyone sell aftermarket intake manifolds for
>T3s?

I thought Berg sold several types.  What carbs are you using?  Could you
just use the '67 OE DP manifolds?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney