Of Generators and Alternators -- and Blades

Power generators:  Jim and Tim - thanks a bunch for your most excellent
input!

Wiper blades:  It seems the previous owner (i.e. dear ol' Dad) used 14"
blades...  I just checked my blade length and they're 15".  So it would appear
my upgrade was just fixing Dad's downgrade :p  Boy, do I feel silly.

I don't know about the earlier models but the later wiper blade sweep area can
be somewhat adjusted by the pivot point.  Just remove the retaining nut, lift
the wiper arm up from the axle, slowly rotate it to change the sweep area (and
park position), push arm back on to axle and tighten nut.  You will notice that
the axle and wiper arm are splined, that is, the axle has a star pattern on its
circumference while the arm has an inverse star on the inside to fit the axle.
This isn't earth-shattering to know but for those of you who want to lower your
vehicle this is exactly how the torsion bars/lower arm assemblies fit together,
by splines!
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L modified to 2.0L