Subject: how hot is too hot?
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    2/4/97 5:37 AM

Hi All,
  It is me again, I have been out driving my squareback around and noticed
that it smells hot.  My question is, what temperature should a type 3 be
running?  John Muir said that if you can hold the dipstick on a bug, it is
not to hot.  Is there a similar saying in the type 3 world, since I haven't
got a temp gauge?  (I am thinking of getting one though.)
  If it is running hot, it may be due to the timing.  Awhile back I was
advised to time my 73 U500 engine to the second mark, the problem may be that
the pulley was changed by a previous owner.  Mine has 4 marks on it, like
this  " I I II I".  Do I have it on the right mark?
  One more question, I have an external oil filter mounted behind the driver
side rear tire.  Is this the best place for it?  It seems to me that the hot
air from the heat exchanger blows directly on it and I have to take the tire
off to change it.  Any ideas?

                                                                      Thanks,

                                                                        Scott