Re:How Hot is Hot?

I use a VDO Cylinder Head Temperature Guage and bi-metallic sensor under the number three spark plug.  Depending on the
sensor (which wear out occasionally)  the car runs below 350 F most of the time.  Rises slightly on grades. Basically I regulate
my speed down the highway based on the temperature.  In stop and go city driving it stays below 300 F but you can really see it
go up and down with starts and stops.  I have this on three cars, all stock FI 70-72.

I also have a oil temperature gauge (VDO) and sensor that is mounted above the stock oil cooler on my '70 Sqback.  So it
really is a oil cooler temperature.  It hardly ever gets above 100F.  Only in stop and go traffic or after I park the car does the
temperature go up.  It not nearly as informative as the cylinder head sensor, but gives me a sanity check on one another.
Craig Woolston
'70 Sqback and '71 Fastback
cwoolsto@ladc.lockheed.com