Chrome vs. Cal Look

I'm afraid I prefer the Chrome OE look.  While I completely agree with Toby
that it is easy to overdo chrome, I think the factory struck a nice balance.

That said I must also agree that the prices of window seals today really
make one strongly consider the extrusions without the trim groove.  This
brings me to a question that has bothered me for a long time:  Why are left
and right seals different OE part numbers while for Cal Look they are the same?

If you've ever bought OE seals, you know that they are one piece with one
seam, but the corners are "formed" into the part.  The Cal Look parts are
just a straight extrusion, cut to length and glued into a loop.  Why
couldn't this be done with the OE style?  It should work equally well, and
would yield parts that would fit either side!

Frankly, it seems like this would just require a single OE style extrusion
die to make most of the window seals for most air-cooled VWs.  You just
extrude out a mile of the stuff, and then cut and glue it into the various
required lengths.

Anyone know why WCM isn't doing this?  In fact, I THOUGHT I had heard that
they WERE doing it.  Have they quit?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney