Re: Color Choice

In my experiences with advising a new color for a vintage VW enthusiast, the
best advice I can give is to pick a stock color from the range of colors
offered in 1968 for Variants.  This way, you get your stock color correct
for the car and she gets the color she likes and wants to be seen in.  Both
people are satisfied with one choice.

The colors that were available for 1968 Variants are:
BLACK, DIAMOND BLUE, REGATTA BLUE, PERU GREEN, DEEP SEA GREEN, LOTUS WHITE,
SAVANNA BEIGE, VW BLUE, & GRANADA RED.

The best way to choose the color is to take her to a couple VW shows with a
camera and take photos of the original colors (above), then lay them all out
and choose the one she likes.  Once she decides, finding the original paint
color mixing formula can be done by calling Wolfsburg West (advertise in the
magazines) for the supplier of the original paint mix.  It should be fun,
exciting, and a joint decision!  What's most important IMHO is that you both
agree on all things related to the car if she is going to like it (and drive
it) in the long-term!

BTW, I'm still working on a 63 Notchback (bone stock) for my wife ... and
I've only gotten her license plate so far (HER 63VW).  The rest is waiting
for time and money ... we've decided to paint both our 63 Notch's Ruby Red
(an original color for 1963 Notchbacks but not the original color of her
Notch).

Best of luck in your restoration project!

--
LEE THOMAS HEDGES
VW T34 KG Registry  http://www.type34.org