Cold weather hard starting solution?

Hey all,

I'm running dual Weber 34ict's on my 'back, and those of you with them will know what I mean when I say that starting/warming up in really cold weather is a ritual.  I've pondered ways to overcome the "no choke" problem that didn't involve dumping more gas into the motor, and the Jim/Bob debate about "Propane Blue" paint gave me an idea.  I have 1-1/2 inch rubber hose coming off the breather, then going to a T, then on to the air filters.  Before starting, I pulled the hose off the breather, then stuffed the end of my propane torch into it, opened it all the way and started the motor without the usual 3 pumps on the gas, though I did open the throttle a bit.  Betty fired up and reached normal idle in a few seconds, and ran smoothly.  After a couple of minutes, I shut off the torch and reconnected the breather tube and I was in business.  Before, she was idling rough, and sometimes stalling if the air was particularily humid.  Not to mention low idle and subsequent low oil pressure.  BTW, I did tape off the vent holes on the tip of the torch.
Question:  I don't think this is harmful to the engine, certainly less traumatic than feathering the gas, but hey I don't know everything.  Am I doing Bad Things to the motor?

Happy New Year!
Curt
70 sb