Re: timing..

-----Original Message-----
From: Melissa & Jim <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type-3@umich.edu <type-3@umich.edu>
Date: Wednesday, December 31, 1997 12:44 AM
Subject: RE: timing..

On 30 Dec 97, zzIML-type-3 wrote:

> I suggest you read the Muir book about the .004 sticker.... general
> advice is to IGNORE IT... go .006.  In general, it won't make that much
> of a power difference, mostly a noise difference (more noise).

The .004" spec was superceded by the .006" spec because VW found that
a few of their cars would still burn exhaust valves with the old
spec.  I recommend that people just use the old .004" spec for the
intake valves and go with the later .006" spec for the exhaust
valves.  That leaves you with the best of everything, best power from
the intakes (with minimum valve noise) plus max safety from the
exhausts.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks Jim, I think I'll do that as soon as I can, now...I look through the
Haynes and Bentley book briefly and could not found how, by looking to the
head from the valve adjusting position, to identify the intake and exhaust
valve. Thanks