Re: Attn: European Listees

On 27 Dec 97, Ginger D.&Peter P. wrote:

> I am the lucky recipient of a T3 christmas gift from my brother.  He is
> a Capt. in the US Army stationed in Heidelberg.  What the hell did he
> give me!?
> 	It is a paper-bound "Genuine Parts Illustrated Catalog" for type 3
> published by VW 1994.  It has order forms in the front translated into
> 6 languages, and 114 illustrated pages of EVERY T3 PART, EVERY YEAR,
> EVERY NUT, BOLT WASHER, SHEET METAL, TRIM, GLASS, MOTOR, CARB ETC. ETC.
> 	The illustrations show assemblies with numbered references (not
> official VW 9-digit #'s).  I have a feeling that the VW numbers were
> elliminated for ease of reference between yearly changes.

If you have ever seen the VW microfilm or one of the original parts
books you would know that they consist of a series of numbered
illustrations and a corresponding list of parts with the appropriate
applications.  I'm just guessing, but it sounds like this is just a
collection of the illustrations with the index numbers on them, but
it is lacking the list of part numbers that would allow you to
actually figure out the part number that you need.

It would, however, allow you to talk intelligently with your dealer
over the phone.  You know, "I need item 27 on illustration 11," which
just happens to be the "cool tin" that was being discussed here a few
weeks ago.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org