Re: engine troubles (itza long one)

>down before pulling it in), but when I last had the valve covers off,
>there was no damage to the sealing surfaces of either head,  both valve
>covers seemed to fit tightly, and I replaced both gaskets with new cork
>ones.  Has anyone ever seen this happen, and why (or how?)?  The valve
>covers are the stock-style 'made in taiwan' chrome ones, and didn't leak
>a drop when I first got the car (although judging by the poorly adjusted
>valves and cute 'made in taiwan' stickers STILL on the inside of the
>valve cover, I don't think they had ever been removed since the engine
>was built).  I have seen this happen when the valve covers weren't
>properly positioned after installation, but then it happened immediately
>after startup, not 5 miles down the road (not to mention all the trips
>around the block).  I don't get it.  I didn't run at any higher engine
>speed than I had during testing, just for a longer duration.  I can say
>one major lesson I have learned out of this is if you happen to get an
>unknown engine (one you didn't build yourself, or haven't worked on for

First thing I would do is replace the valve covers with genuine VW valve
covers, along with genuine valve cover clips...... the stock clips are
spring steel, which provide better sealing, some aftermarket ones are not,
which may be what they are in your case your case condisdering the made in
Taiwan stickers.............

Todd Daley
Ontario, Canada

'80 Rabbit Convertible