Re: Air Cooler Engine...

Pardon my French:  Bullshit!  Anybody who makes sweeping generalities of
this nature deserves no ones business.  If a new Porsche 911 (air cooled,
until this model year)  were to melt down from continuous driving, Porsche
would be an old name akin to Packard or Studebaker (i.e. defunct).  As for
VW air cooled engines,  I know for a fact from many LONG trips in my dad's
old FI fastback when I was a kid (now mine), that a melt down is only
eminent in a vehicle of questionable maintenance, missing tin, carbs set
too lean, or other maladies perpetrated by the uneducated.  That Fastback
finally needed a new motor after tripping 200,000 miles.  We are talking
freeway, Sacramento to Los Angeles miles.  Don't worry, believe half of
what you see, less of what you hear.  Your mechanic is crack baby who does
not deserve your cars business if he has as little faith in a VW as he
appears to.  Nuff said.

Kenik Hassel