Re: Toasted generator?

On 18 Dec 97, A bear in his natural habitat wrote:

> says "Did I mention the generator light was on after I shut the engine off?"...

This is a rather typical end-of-life signal from a voltage regulator.
It means that the cut-off relay in the regulator has welded its
contact s shut and will never be trustworthy again.  It may or may
not destroy the generator, but by far the best approach is to either
restart the car or beat on the regulator until the light goes out.

The welded contacts mean that the battery can bleed backwards through
the generator (yes, running it like a stalled motor) until one of
them is exhausted.

Get a new regulator.  I recommend genuine Bosch.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin