Re: Toasted generator?

Comments below.     ~Toby Erkson
Subject: Toasted generator?
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE_MIME
Date:    12/18/97 7:30 AM

>This morning I went out to warm up our '71 Squareback so Diane could bring
>the kids to school.  I hop in notice the clock is at 7:50, but it's only 7:15,
>and it usually runs slow, not fast.  I turn the key and nothing....  Try it
>again and still totally dead.  I go inside to break the news to Diane and she
>says "Did I mention the generator light was on after I shut the engine off?"...
     AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!    (I gather that she's still alive? :)

>I gather the next step is to remove
>the generator
>and see what's wrong, but what should I be looking for?

     A class for couples on effective automotive communication...

>Thanks
>Dave

My guess would be to take it to a alternator/starter shop and have them check it
out -- they may be able to rebuild it if it's damaged.  Recharge the battery.
Most importantly check your wiring harness.  Follow that big ol' wire to see if
it melted through at some other location and repair damages.