My ongoing electrical problem...

Dear List,

I am afraid that I have not had much time in the last few months to use
the advise that was given about an electrical problem that I am having in
my square.  But yesterday was beautiful here in SW Missouri and I actually
had the entire day off.  Here's a refresher:  73 sq, newly rebuilt stock
engine (with the exception of an FI to carb by PO that will be corrected
as soon as I have the funds and an FI parts source), rebuilt distributor
(new points with gap checked and double checked, condensor, rotor, and
cap).  I have cranked the engine over while checking for spark at the coil
wire and at the spark plug.  I have been getting a weak spark (white and
only at a gap of about 1 mm) at the coil wire, and nothing at the plug
wire.  I have checked the voltage to the coil and at the distributor, and
each measurement is between 11 and 12 volts (this is with me turning the
engine over by hand).  I followed Jim's last suggestion and borrowed an
inductive timing light, and found not enough voltage to the thing to
light either at the plug wire or at the coil wire.  I have swapped coils
with a new (not Bosch) and with the old (Bosch) and have gotten the same
voltage readings.  I also followed Toby E's advise and located, removed,
cleaned, and securely attached the ground from the battery to the car and
from the car to the tranny case.  Is there another from the car to the
engine case, as a poor ground could definately be my problem.

If any more information is needed, I will be glad to provide it.  I have a
new voltage regualtor that I could put in, but I would like to see if
anyone recommends this first.

Thank you for all your help in the past and for any help you could provide
me with my current situation.

Bryan

Greg,  I will be slipping a contribution in the mail today.  I kept losing
your pesky address.  Thanks for reposting it.