Re[2]: lowering...in response to mgkepner's sermon

Text item: Text1

Why did I lower?  I lowered her wayyy back in '87 because I liked the look.  It
gave her a more sporty look.  I also love a good handling (read cornering) car.
The shocks were stiffened 1. to keep from bottoming out (Keith, I'll see if I
have snubbers), and 2. improve handling.  Since I wanted a better handling
vehicle I also installed anti-roll bars fore and aft to keep body sway down.
Wide aluminum rims (5.5") shod with low profile rubber help as well.  Oh, and
did I mention that, with the engine in the back, traction is improved thus
allowing higher cornering speeds?  Even stock the mighty T3 has the advantage
over its front engined counterparts!  And with all of this she had to be a daily
driver.

My baby is a sleeper when it comes to cornering.  I can outperform many in the
corners -- it surprises everyone (you may include driving skill as well ;).  My
only complaint is when it comes to driving (or should I say trying to drive) on
the straights.  Though it isn't bad, and mostly noticeable at higher speeds, my
baby likes to wander some.  But I know what the cause is.  Take the good with
the bad.  For me, the good outweighs the bad and I'm willing to live with it.  I
plan on finding a way to fix the problems.  [I also drink coffe with Cool Ranch
Doritos for breakfast (we won't discuss breakfast in the Navy :), have been
known to drink to excess at parties (I'm a very happy drunk), and enjoyed
climbing several 5.9/5.10 rocks free solo (back in my invincible college days).
We all do stuff that may be border line or bad (or just plain dangerous) but you
look at the scales, apply any judgement and make your choice.]

I know that, genetically, my baby is a family wagon and not a Porsche, Ferrari,
BMW or Lamborghini and I won't get the same performance as them but, damn it, I
can try to get close!

Other comments below.     ~Toby Erkson