Re: Windshield Washer

> From: "Shawn" <kolob@DIGITALPLA.NET>
> To: <type-3@UMICH.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Windshield Washer
> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:44:03 -0700

>> Yes, you read right, fluid goes through the actual switch.  While
>> this seems to me to be an insane design, I've never seen the
>> switch fail because of this.  Hmmmm, weird.

> Well, I have come to the conlusion that it is in fact the switch.
> Everything else works.  I even hooked an electric pump in line,
> and it still doesn't work.  Thanks for all the help...

Much of the confusion about the washer switch derives from the
misnomer applied.  It is not really a switch.  It is a valve--in
the plumbing sense.  With the tank pressurized and with liquid,
the hose is always delivering pressurized fluid to the valve and
you simply open the valve when you activate the "switch."

It's just like your house plumbing in concept.  If your kitchen
faucet (valve) fails, water goes everywhere until you find
another valve to shut if off.  An in-line valve in the hose from
the tank to the steering column could be installed as an
"isolation valve" in cases where the "switch" fails.  Just reach
under the dash and close the back-up valve--no more leak.

I'll stick with the old Type 2 method:

     Want washer?  Push bellows.

     Don't want washer?  Don't push bellows.

No pressure.  No electric pump.  No switch.

-Jim Bryant