Re: dumb question, but humor me

RJ Latherow wrote:
> The local VW hot rod shop has distributer caps that are transparent
> colors-I'm sure you all have seen them. They are made for Type I's but
> the guy insists that they will work.  Theyn are the same price as the
> local discount auto store brand plain black ones.
> Will they fit?  Do they work alright?  They are kind of cool....I'm
> sorry, I mean kewl...
> -rj
It has been my rotten luck to have gone the kewl route in my '69 lowered
(with apologies to Jim) Cal Look bug. I had done the full engine
treatment with the Heineken beer can coil cover, colored plug wires,
chrome goodies package, and the clear distributor cap. I thought I was
da kine, Bra! until the damn cap snapped off the coil terminal
connection late one night in the wrong part of a trip home. Of course, I
didn't have any replacement parts, so that was the end of that. Got a
*real* cap, sold the car and got a '63 Notch. Now, I have a nice, plain,
boring rust colored stock 009 cap, a replacement cap in my toolbox, and
a smile 'cuz I know that it won't happen again. Go for the kewl cap, but
have a stock replacement very handy.
David "been there, done that, bought the T-shirt" Walters
'73 1600 L Notch
S. FL, USA