dumb question, but humor me

The local VW hot rod shop has distributer caps that are transparent
colors-I'm sure you all have seen them. They are made for Type I's but
the guy insists that they will work.  Theyn are the same price as the local
discount auto store brand plain black ones.
Will they fit?  Do they work alright?  They are kind of cool....I'm sorry, I
mean kewl...
-rj