Re: Need Heat

On 12 Dec 97, Soap Duck wrote:

> Yesterday I rigged up some heating ducts for my car.  I thought that this
> would fix my heating problem. To my dismay it did not do any thing whatsoever.
> You can feel a very small amount of heat coming out (may I emphasize small).
> Why can't I get anymore heat?  Is my heater box the problem?

To get goo heat you need all the parts of the heating system to be
intact so that no air is lost before it gets to the passenger
compartment.  That includes the heat exchangers, the 2 large and 2
small hoses from the engine to the body, the Jarvic 7s on both sides
under the back seat, and the rocker panels where the heater channels
run along both edges of the car.  You also need to get air into the
system so the input bellows and ducts have to all be there and
intact.

Of all these the most common problem is with the heater channels,
which are the most difficult (read: impossible) to fix once they rust
out.

To answer your second question, if you have carbs, you can use
either a mechanical or an electrical pump, but the mechanical pump
has the advantage of easy installation since there's already a place
for it on the case, plus a safety advantage in that it will stop
pumping gas automatically if the engine stops for any reason.  This
is really an important, and often overlooked, safety feature.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin