Re: need T-3 heat exchanger advice

On 11 Dec 97, GRAVCASEY wrote:

> I am replacing the muffler on my '65 Notch and would really appreciate some
> advice on how to loosen those large nuts that attach the fresh air heaters
> (heat exchangers) to the muffler.

This is not a job for those afraid to get dirt under their
fingernails, nor for those not well-tooled.  Remove the old muffler
and the rear heater boxes.  Use a torch on the head studs to warm
them up to a dull red and you won't break the studs.  Use a cutting
torch to cut the muffler from the small boxes; cut as close to the
boxes as possible (flush with the nuts.)

Put the boxes in a LARGE vise which is attached to the proverbial
immovable object and heat the nut round and round, inside and out
with a large torch tip; this takes a lot of heat and will require
acetylene and oxygen, propane and oxygen, or MAPP and oxygen.  Don't
even bother trying to do this with a simple propane torch.  When the
nut can be seen to have just a bit of a dull red glow (with the torch
removed) put down the torch and pick up your 1-7/16" combination
wrench (I may have the size wrong here) and slip the box end over the
nut and PULL!  If it won't move, heat it a bit hotter and try again.

> Also, does anyone know where I can find replacement rubber sleeves/hoses that
> connect the fan housing and fresh air heaters (heat exchangers?)

Try WCM or your dealer.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org