Windshield install

On 10 Dec 97, Richard Visser wrote:

> I had the same experience. Tried it myself with a NOS rubber bought at VW.
> No way! Went to a professional. They put two suction pads on the outside.
> Through those a belt going inside the car with a tension pulley block (also
> used against load shifting on the back of an open truck or so) with which they
> pulled the window in. While doing this we were also pushing and tapping on
> the window. With three of the pro's and me and a buddy of mine it costed at
> least two houres work and a lot of sweat. After paying the standard price i
> left, at each bump hoping the windshield wouldn't come out with the same
> force we had put it in.
>
> btw: We started at the bottom and worked our way up.

I shared the same concern as many of you others so I hired a pro to
come out.  Together we wasted a half hour trying to do it the way I
wanted (with the late retainer strips in).  He finally gave up in
frustration and ripped my retainer strips out and had the windshield
in without a hitch in less than 15 minutes.

It was only after this that I found out that there was a difference
in size between windshields that were made for the retainer strips
and the rest.  My replacement was a generic and therefore most likely
the larger non-retainer strip size.  He was right; I was wrong.  His
way worked.

We just used the cord in the grove method with the overlap on the
bottom and inserted the bottom edge first.  If I had another
windshield to do  I might still hire a pro to do it, but all the
other glass I did myself with the help of a friend or my wife.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin