Curious - has this ever happened to you?

The situation:
My points "broke" this weekend.  What I mean by that statement is that the
contacts on the arm broke in half somehow, causing the "rivet" to pop out.
The contacts then fell down into the distributor body in 2 pieces.

Additional info:
These were new Bosch points with 1000 miles on them.

The question:
This seems like a freak occurrence of nature to me, so I ask, has anyone
ever heard of this happening?

What I learned:
1. Always have an extra set of points.  :(
   a. The one spare part you don't have is the one that will break.
2. How to dismantle, lube, and reassemble the 009 dizzy - cool!

Later,
Everett Barnes
ebus@ebus.simplenet.com