Re: 63 Starting Problem

> When I go to turn the key to start it, the two ignition lights come on
> bright and then dim when I turn the key to start it. Nothing!  Other
> days, the car starts fine with the key.  Here's the strange thing: when
> it won't start with the key, I grab a screwdriver and lay down under the
> starter solenoid and "jump" the starter to get the car started.  If I
> use the screwdriver to jump it, and then go to the key to try starting
> again right away, the car starts up fine!  Subsequent attempts just
> after that work fine!  However, if I drive the car for awhile (down the
> street for beer), then turn it off and restart it again, nothing!  I
> hate intermittent electrical problems!!!

I thought about this some more and I have another question - does it only
do this when the car is hot?  My Squareback did this when I first got it
whenever the car got really hot, like driving on the freeway in 90-degree
heat, so I installed a 6-volt relay so that battery power goes directly to
the solenoid.  Problem solved!

Unfortunately, I can't give you a source for the relay - I had removed one
from my '63 Single Cab because I didn't know what the heck that black box
was so, naturally, I saved it like a good VW owner.

Regards,
Everett Barnes
ebus@ebus.simplenet.com