Running on two cylinders

Dear List,
	I have been attempting to get my '68 FB up & running since I
bought it back in September. Not to bore you with the messy details of
what has been done just to get the engine running, I'll cut to the chase.
Like I said it is a '68 FB with a '66 1600 engine. It has dual Solex 32
PDSIT carbs, & has had all new tune-up parts installed(plugs, wires,
points, condenser), timed; etc. The compression checks good on all four
cylinders(between 115 - 120). It starts good, even on cold days (20 - 30
F),idles good, fuel is getting to both carbs. I have driven it on the
road, sometimes starting out sputtering & backfireing but eventually
things seem to smooth out & run OK. I have been able to get up to 50 MPH
on a level road & it seems to hold it's own going up short hills. Yet
when I disconnect plug wires 1 or 2 there is no noticeable difference in
the idling, but if I disconnect plug wires 3 or 4 there is an immediate
difference in the idling. Also if I block the top of the carburetor to
cylinders 1 & 2, cutting off the air supply, the engine does not die, but
will die if the air supply is cut-off to the carburetor feeding cylinders
3 & 4. Plugs 1 & 2 are getting fire from the distributor.
	Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my
wits end.(BTW, has anybody seen my wits lately?)
				Thanks,
				     Tom
'68 FB(Thumper)