Re: Rear engine mount

On  7 Dec 97, Greg Merritt wrote:

> At 4:56 PM -0800 12/7/97, Steven Ayres wrote:
> > come to the
> >conclusion that its purpose is to limit axial motion when the engine is
> >torquing,
>
> 	I've seen it described (in one manual or another) as an
> "anti-torque mount."

I don't think the physics of the thing justifies either one.  As it
is designed it would have no axial effect, and there would be little
or no axial motion to effect anyway.  Torque around the longitudinal
axis would be minimal, the major torque is the reaction torque
around the axis of the driveshafts.  The direction of this is already
handled well by the three mounts on the transmission.

In the end, however, I have to admit that I don't have a clue what
the VW engineers were thinking when they did this.  I will point out
that they didn't think it was necessary in any of their other cars,
even later ones with bigger engines.  I think it is just another
one of the few things that VW goofed up on the T3s.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin