Re: Rims

On  6 Dec 97, Everett + Jennepher wrote:

> 1. Is there a method of determining what year disc brake front end I have?

There were only two "eras" of T3 disk front brake systems: 66-71, and
72-3.  The late system uses a physically larger caliper which takes a
larger pad; the late caliper is distinguished by having two bleeder
valves per caliper (top and bottom.)  You may need to look carefully
to make sure that you're not overlooking a bleeder valve that is
broken off.  Both caliper styles use 42mm pistons, so the stopping
power is the same, you just get more mileage out of the late (larger)
pads.

> 2. Is it necessary for me to determine the year of my front end before
> locating a set of 4-lug rims?  Will they all fit around the disc brakes
> regardless of their differing characteristics?

All the various wheels have the same general physical clearances.
Any of them will clear either of the T3 brake calipers.  All the T3
wheels have a 46mm offset.  You should be able to read a "46" stamped
somehwere in the center of the wheel disk between two of the lug bolt
holes.  For the most part, T1 wheels have different offsets; they
will still clear the calipers, but they can lead to tire/fender
clearance problems.

By now, most T3s have one or more T1 wheels on them.  Most owners
will be unaware of this.  The easy way to check for this is to remove
the hubcap and place a straightedge across the center ring that the
hubcap fits over.   Slide one end of the straightedge outward until
it comes close to the edge of the rim where the wheel weights
normally fit.  On a T3 wheel the straightedge will hit the outermost
edge of the rim, but will still clear the inside of the curl where
the wheel weight would fit by about 1/8".

You'll need to try this to understand it.

> 3. I have the original hubcaps/trim rings for my '65 Squareback.  Will they
> fit all 4-lug rims?

I don't know.  I would guess that you would need 4-bolt hubcaps to
fit your 4-bolt wheels.  I believe all 4-bolt hubcaps will fit any
4-bolt wheels; T2 parts might be an exception.

> 4. Does anyone have an extra one of those little horseshoe-shaped hubcap
> remover tools that came in the original toolkits?

I don't think I have any of those to spare.  It's just a piece of
bent wire.  I suppose it there were enough interest I could make a
bunch of nice copies up.  (Like I really don't already have enough
unfinished projects ;-)

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org