Re: Carb intake flap

EverettB=> leave it "unlocked" for Winter so that hot air from the
=> exhaust will pass warm air to the carbs at low rpms.  At high rpms,
=> the flap will close (via a weight) to get cool intake air from the
=> fender intakes.

Just to clarify a bit, and meaning no criticism, the hot air should come
from the #2 heat exchanger and right head (through a tube that's often
missing these days), and at higher rpm the vacuum pulls the
counterweighted door open for more (cool) air, which prevents air
starvation at the carbs, since the heat tube wouldn't allow enough
through.  This system is designed to prevent (or at least mitigate) carb
icing, and does not significantly affect the cooling system; it only
raises the temperature of the fuel/air mixture and the air cleaner.

As I understand it we can get carb icing even at mild ambient
temperatures (it's more related to relative humidity), and it's a good
idea to keep this system properly hooked up and in use, though not
crucial.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 & '64 T3 Ghias
'79 Campmobile