Re: Re[2]: To add or not to add (fuel additives)

On  3 Dec 97, Toby Erkson wrote:

> Well, I know from experience that fuel additives meant to remove water from
> the tank work.  My Dad and I call 'em "gas dryers" so I don't know what the
> approved term is, but they contain alcohol and it mixes with the water in
> the tank.

This is true and accurately described.  It's main benefit is in
removing water from a fuel system so it doesn't freeze solid in cold
weather and form a plug.  In this part of the world this is called
fuel line freeze-up.  These products have real uses, although they
are much overused, and I would not call them fuel system cleaners.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin